Saturday, October 3, 2009

Another Top

This is a finished top from one of Gwen's retreats - the topic was strip quilts (as in bars). I merrily cut/assembled pieces in the most unconventional way, but things went together better than I expected. I seem to make things harder than they need to be. It's taught me to take more time in visually dissecting the layout before beginning. I assembled the borders when I was without my fabric stash, so things grew from necessity. I'm thinking it was serendipitous because I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Below is a picture of my Halloween mantle - Halloween is my favorite holiday. The picture on the right is of my Mom and Aunt trick-or-treating at their grandparents. This must be from the early 1930's. I treasure this picture and look forward to displaying it every year!

6 comments:

Quilting Martha said...

I Love the quilt in this post. It is completely fab.

Vicki said...

Wow - thanks for the compliment!

Pokey said...

I like your quilt top, too, Vicki. The bar/strip border is great, and the neat "cornerstones" that mimic a mitered border add a sharp look! pokey

antique quilter said...

oh how lucky you are having gone to a Gwen retreat! My dream to go one year.
REally like this top, the colors are just so me! Oh that would be hard for me to make a quilt from what I had with me , I would be thinking oh I want to add this other fabric that is at home...
you made it work, its a great quilt. I have been wanting to do a border like that for awhile.
What a treasured picture that must be its wonderful that you have ti
ah yes I love decorating for the fall, my favorite time of the year.
Kathie

Betsy said...

The quilt is beautiful. All the colors work well together.

Vivian said...

Gorgeous quilt. Serendipitous decisions and events when we're quilting just add to the fun.