Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Quilt Show

This past weekend was the Heritage Quilters of NW Indiana show, of which I am a member. We make a raffle quilt for the show, which is biennial, but also make one for the alternate year. Two of my friends, Pat and Sandy, and I made this quilt for last year's raffle. As it happens, one of the guild members won this, imho, fabulous quilt. She put it in the show, and won 1st place in the group category. The three of us that made this quilt just absolutely love it, so we were thrilled. Sandy machine quilted it, and here is a detail shot for you to see. She really does a beautiful job, don't you think?

We named the quilt Sturbridge Stars, as it was made of the Marcus Fabrics line by Judie Rothermel. At the time we were choosing the pattern, there was a full page ad in a quilt magazine for the line, and a very small quilt that Judie had made. We really liked it, so I emailed her for permission to use the idea for our raffle quilt. She, of course, agreed, and thought it would make a lovely quilt. We made the blocks smaller, and reworked the star block for ease of piecing. The quilt is quite large; about 100 inches square.

14 comments:

Karen said...

A good raffle quilt - at least for me it would be. Looks very well done.

Unknown said...

I was a vendor at this show and that quilt was awesome! Loved the quilting in the border. I probably stood and looked at that quilt for an hour - I have bits and pieces of all the fabrics in my stash. Awesome quilt!

Lori said...

Lovely quilt! That is so cool that someone you know won it. Great job on the ribbon. It sure looks like it deserved a win:)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

It's great! nice job ladies! I love judy's fabrics... old time fabulous!

antique quilter said...

this is a beautiful quilt, oh I loved that sturbridge miniature line!
wish I had a bolt of each one of those fabrics!!!!
Kathie

Carol said...

What a beautiful quilt...those are some of my favorite fabrics.

Jan said...

Lovely quilt...lucky winner!!

Taryn said...

What a great raffle quilt--I would have loved a chance at that one. Is the stripe border fabric you used part of the same line of fabrics?

Julie in the Barn said...

It is really beautiful. I love those fabrics. It deserves the ribbon.

Louise said...

A simple, yet beautiful, quilt...I would've bought lots & lots of tickets for this one! You and the other ladies did a great job.
Louise

MARCIE said...

I remember that magazine ad. Loved it then and love your version as well! Your quilt turned out great and the quilting is awesome!

Beth Karese said...

Such a great quilt! I like the contrast that the light star tips have to the richer, darker colors. Stars are one of my weaknesses.

Jane said...

Wonderful quilt!

Nettie said...

That is a gorgeous quilt. Sweet kitties too. I'd adopt the black one, if i were nearby.