Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stories from the Textiles

'Stories from the Textiles' is the current exhibit at the Westchester Township History Museum.  This signature quilt (347 names) was a fund raiser for the Ladies Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Burdick, IN in 1896.  John Wolford was the high bidder at $100!  The applique was applied by machine and the quilt was beautifully hand-quilted.



The exhibit includes two beautiful Jacquard coverlets.   The first coverlet was woven in 1852 by John Garis, professional weaver and surveyor.


The second coverlet was woven in 1853 by Danial and Levi Fisher, professional weavers from South Bend, IN.







There are four exceptional hexagon pieces by Hannah Morgan Hassell circa 1850 - these pieces alone are worth a visit. 


If you're in the area, stop in - no charge.  The museum is housed in the Brown Mansion built in 1885.

Strange as it may sound, during my visit I discovered that in 1942 my dad brought his future bride (my mom) flowers to celebrate her high school graduation day!

10 comments:

Karen said...

The red & white signature quilt is different from any other signature quilts I have seen pictures of. Wouldn't it be nice to get it for a $100 bid nowadays!

Janet said...

I loved seeing these. They are so wonderful and the hexagons look so great with the fussy cutting. I love the pattern on the red and white signature quilt too. All so interesting, Thanks for sharing them.

Unknown said...

Great pictures! I never realized you lived in Indiana! I grew up there - born in Valpo and raised in DeMotte! Hope to meet you at the quilt show later next month we are first time vendors there!

antique quilter said...

great quilt/coverlet
I love that, those flowers are so pretty, would make a great applique quilt.

made me smile it says South Bend!

love the hexagon pieces, I still would love to make a quilt with these.
Kathie

Lori said...

Beautiful quilts!! The sig one is unusual and so pretty.
I love the coverlets too. It's amazing how old they are.
And the hexagons are a work of art!!
If I was closer I'd drop by!!

Sharon said...

Interesting! On the red & white siggie quilt there's someone with my maiden last name! I wonder if they're any relation? I grew up in Michigan, but my grandparents grew up in Iowa....I think they moved to Mich. at about this time (1896). And I think I remember that my g-grandfather moved to Iowa from Indiana. Hmmmm, I'll have to find my geneology charts! Thanks for posting this!

Barb said...

Lovely Eye Candy - Thanks for sharing the info,I wish I could go in person to see these beauties!

*karendianne. said...

What an interesting post. I really love these hexagons, too. See, I just can't turn around and go off doing my own thing because you have things happening here that I'm missing!

ummmm said...

I think I have a quilt made by the same person as the blue one. It dates 1853 and is from Indiana. Could you email me so we coul talk more?
Jordyne

ummmm said...

I should give you my email. Hah. It's siono716@gmail.com