Sunday, December 19, 2010

Work in Progress

Albert is snuggled up with Oregon Trails (Lori's January 2010 quilt-along - Cheddar Cheese and Crackers) guarding the Christmas tree from cat attack.  My doll quilt is still just a top, but I'd love to get it hand quilted soon.  Can't wait for Lori's new quilt-along!




I've started sewing some blocks with the Sarah Johnson fabric from my last post.  I originally thought (and am sticking to) Puss-in-the-Corner blocks with scrappy 4's and constant focus fabric in the middle/corners.  The plan was alternating PITC and 16 patch (two sets of two 4 Patch blocks) set 'on point'.  I made about 10 PITC blocks and put on the design wall (which is currently the spare bed).  I wasn't happy with the clamour of the scrappy 4's.  I don't have a pic of that layout, but here's some of the scrappy 4's:


The next attempt was to use the same layout with a more controlled PITC 4's.  I'm  leaning toward this design:


Here's a last photo with the more controlled PITC 4's with common alternate:



This morning was a sewing session with Elle (granddaughter) working on a Christmas surprise for her mom.  Elle doesn't realize what a treat it is to sew on a Featherweight!  We have a couple more evening's worth of work, but we should make the Friday night deadline.


"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

13 comments:

Meredith said...

Your blocks are lovely. I am sitting on some of that same fabric I think in a different color way. Have a Merry Christmas. What a special treat to help her sew something for mom. I always think they are the gifts that get remembered most.

Deb said...

Hey Vicki, that serpentine fabric is one of my favourite oldies. I love what you're doing with it. Merry Christmas to you and Jan and your families.

Nancy said...

That fabric looks great in the Puss blocks. Albert has his work cut out for him, but he looks real cozy protecting the tree. I like that you are encouraging your budding young stitcher. Merry Christmas.

Cheryl said...

I am looking forward to Lori's quilt along also. I love the Sarah Johnson fabric and the blocks you have made with them!

Karen said...

I have some of that squiggly fabric....or did. Will have to look. I like how you are using it in the blocks.

PatchworkRose said...

Just love attempt 2 with those in between blocks. I have some of that squiggly fabric too and just love how you can play around with serpentines
Have a great Week
Cheers
Lynne

Lori said...

Your bear is adorable in front of the little quilt!! I don't think it matters one bit that it isn't quited!!
I adore that serpentine fabric!! And I know you didn't ask but i like the 1st and 3rd setting better as you can really enjoy that gorgeous fabric.
Merry Christmas!!

Dixie Howard said...

What awesome wiggly fabric - these blocks are great! Merry Christmas - always enjoy your blog.

Dixie

antique quilter said...

I like the last one best.
great squiggly fabric
oh what a treat to be sewing with your granddaughter, treasure those memories.
how sweet.
Kathie

Linda in NC said...

I absolutely love how your Cheddar Cheese and Crackers quilt top turned out - lovely fabric choices. And I look forward to seeing what you do with the serpentine fabric blocks; you've got a great start!

Linda in NC

Jacky and Steph said...

I am always drawn to those 'wriggly' fabrics - I have got a couple here, but not that one! I might be on a mission to find some now! I am looking forward to my grandaughter being just a little older, then she can sew too. x

Jan said...

You smartie! I look at the serpentine prints and only see border. It looks so cool cut up!

Barb said...

Your blocks look great. I love that serpentine fabric!
Your grand daughter looks like a pro at the machine.
ho ho ho
have a merry one!