Sunday, February 20, 2011

This is another Christmas gift that I made this year, but forgot to take pictures of. It was made for my friend Missy. She has lots of colors in her house, and the only thing that I could think to make for her was a Christmas quilt. The pattern is in Simply Scrappy Quilts by Nancy Martin, and is called Star and Chain. It uses 2.5 in strips, and goes together lickety-split. Here is a detail of the quilting, and, in my defense, I had to take pictures really fast. This swirl on the side triangle is my favorite part. Hopefully you can make it out. Susan Atwell, from Fat Quarter Quilt Farm, did the machine quilting. I've had a fair amount of sewing time recently, and am making progress on the Texas Braid. I set some tight parameters for myself on this. The darks have a broad range, but the lights are more narrow. I didn't want anything with a white background, and did want an old, mellow feel to them. It seems to be working, but it is getting kind of boring piecing. Every once in a while I have to audition more, and cut into something fresh.
Finished my Midnight Stars top. I am happy with it, and it goes upon the stack of "to be quilted" tops.



8 comments:

regan said...

These quilts are beautiful.....love how the Texas Braid is coming along....I like the tones of the neutrals....it's very calming.

Cheryl said...

Texas Braid is proceeding nicely and Midnight Stars is glowing!

Mimi said...

What a beautiful way to use up stash with that Texas Braid. Love it.

Lori said...

I think you are getting the look you want from the braid quilt. Oh my goodness I love it!!!
Nice work on the Christmas quilt too. I'm sure your friend loved it.
Yay! Another beautiful Midnight Star~!!

Appalachian Mercantile said...

Love the Christmas stars and the midnight stars. I love using darks for background. It really makes the blocks pop.

Barb said...

Love your braid quilt. I always wanted to try one. It's fun to watch it grow.
What a lovely gift for your friend!
Midnight stars turned out so great.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. Just found it through Lori's Humble Quilts. Your friend Missy is very lucky. I'd love to have that Christmas quilt, LOL. Love the color choices in the Texas braid quilt too.
Gail :)

antique quilter said...

I just love that braid quilt
what a great way to use up some of our fabrics !
so scrappy, love it!
your midnight stars looks great, ah that pile for hand quilting
I don't even want to talk about it anymore!
Kathie