Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Forgotten Quilts

While going through the linen closet for holiday quilts, I came across this top, and thought that I would give it a quick look. It was my original design, and the top was sewn in the mid-1990's.


Perhaps I wouldn't choose these exact fabrics today, but I do like the effect. This one just may go in the to-be-quilted pile. The plaid backing fabric was folded up next to the top, and it measures out to be enough. Maybe I will look into a strippy backing for this instead, although I don't think I would have a use for the plaid elsewhere.


Anna's Choice is a flannel quilt that is also of the same vintage. It is even tied! There had been another flannel quilt on this sofa, but Murray, who longed to be in this post, as you can see, nested a bit too much into that quilt. It developed a hole, and then another, and soon there just wasn't enough quilt left to use. Here is the culprit, and my companion, Murray. He doesn't photograph too well because of being so dark. Althought, at seven, he is developing white hair, and his chin is quite gray. He is the best dog I have ever had, and has been quite patiently awaiting his introduction on the blogosphere. His photo was taken in my sewing room, and, yes, being a toy poodle, he is not afraid of his feminine side, and loves his pink quilt - which I did not make. This one has sustained no damage; of course!


Again, while pulling out seasonal items, this time in the coat closet, I came across this, one and only, crocheted item that I ever completed. It was made from some yarn that I found in Colorado while visiting my brother, probably twenty years ago. Just the most basic crochet stitch was used, and I don't think that I even remember how to do that now!


16 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

the scarf/blanket looks surprisingly modern!

Anonymous said...

I really like the crocheted blanket!!!

ALso, I love the use of pinwheels in the top quilt!

antique quilter said...

funny whats hiding in our closets! I have found quilts I forgot I even made! Murray is adorable sitting there on his quilt :)

Sandra Henderson said...

Love em all! Red wite n blue is always in style!

Kyle said...

I love the fact that you had to look in multiple locations for your quilts! Looking at older quilts are a great way for us to remember how styles come and go. Love your collection.

Karen said...

It's so much fun to re-visit our early works. I love pinwheels and the first one is wonderful. It definitely deserves to be quilted!!

karen said...

I think your pinwheel quilt is great, it hasn't dated at all. Loved sseeing your "forgotten" treasures come to life and especially loved meeting Murray

regan said...

Great quilts, and I love that crocheted piece! Nice! And your pup is adorable! Sweet!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Isn't it fun to find "buried treasure" that you forgot you even had? love the red, white, and blue Pinwheel" quilt, great pattern.

Lurline said...

Your pinwheel quilt sparkles - you must finish it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Nancy said...

That's a great quilt with the little pinwheels. Very homey and inviting. The crochet piece is very lovely, and looks up-to-date. Murray... handsome. Glad he got in on the fun.

Dawn said...

I love the layout on your found treasure. Glad you are moving forward to have it quilted. We've had cold and wind and the dog loves her snuggle quilt on the sofa! Too cute.

Janet O. said...

Your pinwheel design is really fun! I think it looks great.

*karendianne. said...

Murray LOOKS like the bestest dog ever! :) I completely dig the quilts you're sharing today. The pinwheel setting is classic. No matter what fabric - it works. Yep, definitely classic.

Barb said...

The pinwheel top is really great and lively! Definitely worth finishing.
Your afghan is pretty and looks warm.
Isn't it great to stumble on things we've forgotten?
what a cute pup!

Nicky said...

Gorgeous quilt - it needs to be finished!