Monday, January 14, 2013

Miscellany

My current project (started in Shipshe) is an Ocean Waves variation from Arkansas Quilts.  There are 49 blocks.  I need 28 hst for each block, so I'm using the method that yields 8 hst from each square (3 of these plus 2 of the normal square that yields two makes the cutting and sewing speedy).  That's alot of hst's to trim!  I sew four sets of four and then add them to the storage container.
 
You need to know the block neighbor when constructing the block - at least the way I'm putting it together.  I'll admit I don't always make block construction easy (just ask Jan).  I'm more than half way there!  I'm anxious to start sewing some blocks together. 



I checked out Oklahoma Heritage Quilts from the library in the town where I'm working.  I think I have this book at home, but I love having quilt books in the hotel to peruse at night.  I found something for the project list.  Trouble is, I need a visual filing cabinet - a saved photo or note gets lost.  So I made a sample block.  The quilt was full-sized, but I'm thinking doll or crib size.  The 9 patch in my sample finishes at 1 1/2" - cute!  I'm happy to find something for the 1" scrap strips.  It's fun digging thru my meager hotel stash to make something work.  How do you keep track of all the ideas?

 
















It occurred to me yesterday how lucky that we can spend stolen minutes making progress on a project.  This came home to me when visiting a painter's studio and thinking of all the preparation required to 'make the magic'.  Like Kathie from Inspired by Antique Quilts says - always leave something to sew tomorrow (or in my case, hst's to trim). 

9 comments:

regan said...

I'm loving your blocks! Especially that one with the tiny little 9-patches! SO SWEET!

And I agree.....I love having something to piece when I'm traveling. Makes those layovers, and flight time, so much nicer!

Sherrill said...

You could snap a photo on your smart phone. I often do that when I'm in dr's office or salon perusing magazines. It always torks me when someone's ripped something out (it's always what I wanted to see, dontcha know?). Then I get home and upload to the puter. Works for me anyway.

Dawn said...

Looks like you will have the HST's tackled in no time at all. I think it is hard to plan just what to take when traveling/staying for work. Nice to have a library at hand with a quilt section ;-)

Janet O. said...

Those Ocean Waves quilts take a boatload of HSTs.
I LOVE the Goose in the Pond block. That is on my bucket list. That is a small little 9-patch! : )

antique quilter said...

wow that is a small block! adorable ! I take pictures of the quilt book cover and then the quilts in it that I want to save for inspiration if I am out someplace so when I get home the book cover is always with the pictures of the antique quilts!
yup I am making hst for a ocean wave quilt SOME day down the road!
I have to get the arkansas book out and look, wondering why your sewing 4 together of the same fabrics....
I think its wonderful that you sew when you travel
Kathie

Kyle said...

Your little blocks are super cute just as they are, but it will interesting to see what they grow up to be. Thanks for the reminder about the 8 hst method.

Barb said...

you're so clever to sneak in sewing time. I love that method for doing HST - so fast and easy.
I've never seen the Oklahoma book, looks great!

Jamie said...

Can't wait to see your ocean waves block, then quilt.
Love your fabric combinations!

Karen said...

I have no problem leaving something to sew for the next day. It is endless for me.