Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I Got Nothin'



Not much sewing progress lately, but I have been looking through books.  I love the simplicity of this quilt.  Jan and I split a bolt of unbleached muslin last fall (which I haven't dipped into yet).  I have 25 yards at home, but none where I'm spending the winter.  My buddy Jan sent me a 1/2 yd so I can get a start.  I'm on vacation next week, so maybe I can make some progress. 





 

Hubby and I were browsing through an antique shop and look what came home with me!  The detailing is in great shape.  I think the machine is from the 1930's.  It's a portable, but heavy.  Only thing that would make it better is if it was in a wooden base - this one has the canvas type fabric.  The machine runs great.  This makes up for the featherweight that got away (and this one was half the price of the featherweight - so win, win).




I went off the grid a couple weeks ago and ran away to the Mt. Dora Antique Extravaganza - what fun and the weather was perfect!  What do you think this contraption was used for?  A fabric pleater.  Heated rods were inserted in the channels, a turn of the crank and, voila, pleats!  Looks like a pasta press.










This row of aprons has to put a smile on your face!


And if the aprons don't make you smile, maybe these crazy orchids will!




10 comments:

Janet O. said...

I love that quilt! And are you going to do that gorgeous hand quilting, too?
What a great find on that machine. Lucky you!
A pleater? Cool.
I have an old quilt top someone's grandma made entirely from all of her old aprons--stains and all. Don't know if I will ever quilt it. Needs some work.

Nancy said...

Vicki, your Singer looks like a machine I bought a month or so ago and which has been identified as a Singer Model 66 "Red Eye." I wrote a post about it (at http://joyforgrace.blogspot.com/2013/01/i-found.html) where there's a link to learn when your machine was built. Yours is in better shape than mine. It's beautiful!

regan said...

That quilt is gorgeous! And those machines are fantastic, too!

Hubby and I have been looking for a winter spot, and we fell in love with Mt. Dora! I hoping to make it down there for the 2014 winter! (I loved that they had so many festivals and fairs.....so much fun!

Lori said...

What a pretty machine! And a bonus that it sews!!

baukje said...

YES I also love that quilt!! And WOW 25 yards of muslin, my goodness , if I was nearer by I came to ask you 1 yard....... I hope your hand is going well!!

antique quilter said...

great machine, wow what a find! interesting flower, I am so ready for spring this year as I sit here we are expecting snow the next 2 days, unfortunately !
love the quilt in the picture... glad Jan was able to help you out to get you started!
Kathie

Barb said...

Loved your blog title! so funny.
Your log cabin header is great too.
pretty sewing machine and it works! bonus~

Wonky Girl said...

Your Red Eye Singer is a real treasure. If the canvas is original then you have quite a find. Not sure how it would have lasted the years unless it was treated somehow.

The Civil War Quilter said...

Lovely singer, you lucky girl! Antique Extravaganza sounds like a really good time.

Michelle said...

That whole post puts a smile on my face!