Monday, March 18, 2013

Pinterest Inspired

 Recently, on Pinterest - my favorite time stealer - someone used an open cabinet as a display for their quilts.  It looked great at the end of their bed.  I remembered that we had a pair of cabinets that were originally used to store videos - back in the big TV days.  DH and I measured, and they would fit perfectly at the ends of the sofa in our family room.  Finally, some quilt display like I've always wanted!  No pic of the other cabinet.  It is identical except it houses computer equipment.  Thanks Pinterest!

Hope everyone had a fun National Quilting Day on Saturday.  I spent nearly the entire day in the sewing room, and read Betsy Chutcheon's dynamite new book.  All three of her books have great reading, and wonderful patterns and photos.  They are books that I've gone to again and again to look at and dream.

16 comments:

Janet O. said...

I love your display. That is the kind of thing I have always wanted to have, too. But I have two problems keeping me from it. First, I don't have the right kind of cabinet. And second, I don't have enough quilts. Seems I only finish big quilts when I need one to give as a gift. I need to finish some to keep! And then find a cabinet. : )
I keep seeing Betsy's books on blogs. Maybe I need to break my new book diet and get one!

Taryn said...

Great idea! It's always a treat to find a new use for old furniture. Almost like getting new furniture. ;) Betsy's books are excellent. Thanks for reminding me I meant to order the new one.

regan said...

That cabinet looks wonderful! Awesome display of your beautiful quilts!

Kyle said...

See, that time spent on Pinterest was well worth it! I could start on page one and work my way through Betsy's newest book.

Sue said...

Great display of quilts and love how you have recycled you Tv cabinet. Great idea!

Mimi said...

Love your cabinet. May I suggest...if you are going to leave the doors open, hang a quilt over one of the doors.

Barb said...

great idea! Looks like lots of great quilts in there!

Ruth said...

I love the display also! But, I don't have a proper cabinet either. I'll have to keep looking. I would love one of those old ladders to display quilts on also! I'm planning to get Betsy's new book. I was lucky enough to take the Jo Morton class with her a couple years ago and I made the Gone to Texas quilt from the first book with Lizzie's journal. I need to get this new book soon!

paulette said...

Love your quilt display!! Such treasures to share!! I am also addicted to Pinterest!! LOVE it!
P

Every Stitch said...

Great idea - am going to try that!

Dawn said...

Love your cabinet full of quilts!

The Civil War Quilter said...

I'd love to rifle thru that quilt cabinet. Thanks for the peek!

Anonymous said...

Gosh I wish I had the cabinets! Great ideas onPinterest for sure.

LuAnn said...

Love the quilts in your cabinet. I like Pinterest, too. Hours can pass on there before you know it.

ebwhite said...

I also love your reuse of old cabinets, but I do have a concern. Wood can be harmful to the fabric. Please be sure the wood is well sealed, even the back wall of the cabinet. If you are not sure a layer of muslin under the quilts will help protect tham. Cheers to creative reuse of everything.

Karen said...

Is that a wood box on one of the shelves? An interesting display piece. And a good way to recycle a cabinet.