Sunday, August 11, 2013

Plan B

I've made some progress on my current project which I'll post about at the end, but there's been other quilty stuff going on.  Jan and I took a short road trip last weekend - stopped at five quilt shops (one in last days of liquidating - $2/yd!), attended a lecture on Amish quilts by Julie Silber and visited the Kalona Quilt and Textile Museum - not bad for a two day trip!.  The shop at left is Inspirations in Hills, Iowa - our favorite - brimming with repro's and beautiful samples.







The Kalona Quilt and Textile Museum includes two rooms of quilts - one English and one Amish.  At right is my favorite quilt from the current exhibit.  This log cabin quilt is c. 1870.  




I didn't keep up with the baby basket July block challenge from Temecula Quilt Co.  I did complete 10 blocks.  I need two more for the setting I have in mind. So, I switched leader/ender project to small pre-cut tumblers picked up at the Chicago Quilt Show - two packs of 50 tumblers (following Jan's lead, as this was her find!).  




I laid these out as they came from the package with minimal re-arranging.  Amazing how the row shrinks as it's pieced.




I finished piecing my 'Plan B' modified Oceans Wave.  My design wall leads down the hallway, so I couldn't get a straight on shot.  I need to pull out the hst I've completed for the back and get started on finishing this one up.  Thanks for stopping by!


9 comments:

regan said...

Plan B is fantastic! I love it! And those little tumblers are looking so good!

Kyle said...

Looks like you and Jan had a fantastic trip. Your projects are really looking great. How nice to have those tumblers already cut! That was a time saving find.

Dawn said...

Love your Plan B.
I think my friend went to the $2 close out sale on her road trip. She bought a lot of good old repros. So great you got to her Julie's lecture in Iowa.
Kalona is a great place.

Janet O. said...

Sounds like my kind of road trip!
What a wonderful vintage log cabin quilt!
Every time I make a tumbler mini I am astonished at the size difference as it gets sewn together. It seems to shrink more than other designs.

Every Stitch said...

Lovely scrappy quilts! Your modified Ocean Waves is stunning - the square centres are a great highlight. And I do love that antique log cabin - thanks for showing us!
Hilda

Lori said...

It sounds like a wonderful road trip!!
Love your ocean waves! Really fantastic!!

Sandy said...

Wow. LOve your green and brown Ocean Waves!

Ann Marie said...

Love Plan B! Ocean Waves is on my to-do list. Someday.

Diane H said...

Love the Tumbler quilt. One of those is high on my to-do list.
Plan B is stunning.